What can we do?
1. Call our Legislators of the 36th District and Governor Inslee:
Did you know our Legislators do not get calls and emails in volume over the issue of fully funding public education in Washington State? We must send a respectful message that we care about the issue of fully funding public education and request a levy cliff extension for the 2017-2018 school year. Put it on your calendar to call once a week if possible. Speak from the heart. Pass this information along on FB, Twitter, and to other friends you know in the 36th District. 36th District Contact info:
- Governor Inslee: (360) 902-4111
- Senator Reuven Carlyle: (206) 216-3184
- Rep. Noel Frame: (360) 786-7814
- Rep. Gael Tarleton: (360) 786-7860
2. Attend SCPTSA Community Budget Gap Meeting:
Seattle Schools staff will explain the budget numbers. PTA members and the community will have a chance to collaborate on actions we can take together to motivate the Legislature to act.
- Tuesday, December 13 @ Ballard High School 6:30-8 p.m.
- Thursday, December 15 @ South Shore PreK-8 School 6:30-8 p.m.
- Tuesday, January 3 @ Franklin High School 6:30-8 p.m.
3. Attend Focus Day in Olympia:
Washington’s Paramount Duty, NAACP, and WEA are co-sponsoring a rally to demand that our state fully fund public education now!
Dr. Martin Luther King Day: Monday January 16, 2017 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Washington State Capital
416 Sid Snyder Ave SW, Olympia, Washington 98504
If you're interested in learning more about the levy cliff situation, check out these articles:
- The Seattle Times: http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/education/seattle-schools-project-74-million-shortfall-next-year-biggest-since-1970s/
- The Olympian: http://www.theolympian.com/news/politics-government/article70974347.html
- The News Tribune: http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/politics-government/article54019170.html