But the first renovations to take place will be at Lincoln High School itself, and that will happen as soon as Hamilton Middle School moves out at the end of this school year. For many years, Lincoln High School has played temporary home to high schools and middle schools while their permanent buildings were renovated. Now that Lincoln will play host to two elementary schools (Queen Anne and McDonald), some significant changes are in the works. Here is what the school district reports will happen starting later this month:
· lowering white boards
· new phone installation
· altering the stairwell balusters and balustrades
· alterations in the library
· playground installation (see more below)
· rooms for teachers, staff and principals
· cafeteria – lowering the salad bar to kid height
· classroom technology (for a technology-focused school? Of course!)
· workstations for each classroom
Many parents have asked about the playground. The school district has $80,000 budgeted for playground equipment. This includes two new structures that will be built atop two inches of foam and 10 inches of woodchips in the equipment zone.
While most of the work will be done by the school district, there may be opportunities for parent involvement or “self-help.” Please keep an eye out here for more information regarding volunteer opportunities at Lincoln involving painting or gardening this summer.